Friday, April 27, 2012

Health Update

As most of you know, my wife's Mother has not been doing well since March. They sold their home in AZ and returned to MN April 5th. That weekend my MIL ended in the hospital in MN. It did not surprise me as I knew it would be rough on her. After a few days she returned to their new residence.

Last Saturday she ended back at the hospital with what turned out to be pneumonia. She was given IV medicine, and started to feel better. Some blood work was done and it was determined that she needed to be given a blood transfusion. That helped perk her up.  My wife has talked with her Mom and Dad and few times as of late, both sounded tired but in good spirits.

Yesterday afternoon my wife again talked with her parents and her brother who lives in MN. Her brother told her that he would call her later with an update. After some time again on the phone and after a long talk with her Dad, and Brother, it has been decided that my MIL will be transferred to hospice care. All her brothers have been informed as of last night, and all agreed that hospice care would be best.

My MIL has heart valve damage and she can not be operated on to repair. The retirement home does not have enough nursing staff to help take care of her. The ratio is 1 nurse to 88 seniors. Once again the stress level has risen for the family. My kids have all been told about grandma, and that in the event of death, Mom will be the only one returning to MN for the funeral, as we can't pay for any travel and if my wife's Dad buys any tickets I want him to only buy one.

For now my friends that is the latest from here. I pray that my MIL will be comfortable up to the end. Thank you for all your prayers and kind words. I will try and post this weekend, depending on stress level.

Please Stay Alert, and Stay Safe...............Rob

6 comments:

  1. Rob - this is a hard time for all - especially for your wife and your MIL's grandchildren. i pray that your MIL will be comfortable until the end. we will keep you and your family in our prayers as usual. i'm sorry buddy!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts and prayers for your family Rob.

    Hospice is a wonderful organization who is not only there for the patient but the family as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all just flat sucks. I hate that y'all have been through such hardships.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rob, my thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for the kind words and prayers. Mom had another rough night last night. She wants to go home. We are praying that she will become stronger and will be able to get better. I have a feeling her wanting to go home maybe that she is ready for the end. She knows she can't return to the apartment.

    I are praying for strength for my wife, her dad, and brothers.

    ReplyDelete